Thanks to everyone who came to work today. Lots of nettles and dock dug up and more woodchippings put down round the raised beds. Two young helpers found 16 chicken eggs hiding under a mass of nettles – and we thought they were just getting old and had stopped laying!
Following on from our little gosling hatching, we bought six more yesterday, about 2 week older to keep it company. They seem to be settling in ok and seem ok with the ducks around them. Very cute and fluffy.
Thanks to the recent warm weather, I’ve managed to plant out the runner beans, peas and mange tout, hope they survive now. There’s loads of stuff bursting out of our tiny polytunnel – beetroot, cabbages, squashes, chard, leeks, courgettes, plus the tomtatoes, cucumbers, chillis, peppers and ghurkins that will stay in there.
Debs and myself have also been very busy trying to prevent our lovely new bees from swarming. Charles (the head beek) has been over twice this week to do a “reversal” on two of the hives, which is a method to keep the new queen from flying off with about 20,000 others. I’ve just got to try and remember everything he’s telling me! We’re finding it all absolutely fascinating, but at this time of year it’s also quite time consuming and two hours can fly by while you’re doing an inspection. We are not the only ones who have been busy though, because there’s about 40lbs of honey stored already. Once the bees have capped it we will be able to take it out for extracting. How exciting!
Someone else who has been very busy sitting doing nothing has been one of our little bantems. Several weeks ago, Chris decided to put a goose egg under her as she was very broody. The poor little thing could hardly stay balanced on top of it! Anyway, against all odds it has started to hatch this morning so we are all very excited about our new arrival. I think some people questioned Chris’s sanity, but it’s worked. It will be interesting to see the relationship between the mother and baby. Springwatch…